Source: 161st Huron Battalion ~ Diary of the Soldiers
SAMUEL F. FERGUSON
After almost a year’s illness, Samuel Foster passed away at his home, Main St. Orono, on October 3, 1955. The deceased was born in Cartwright township, June 18, 1885, son of the late Robert John Ferguson and Ann Jane McGhee.
His school years were spent in Dufferin and Simcoe counties where his parents farmed, later returning to Cartwright. While farming near Enfield in Darlington Foster married in 1910 to Charlotte (Lottie) May Hooey and in 1911 went to Business College work, being principal of schools in Welland, Orangeville and Wingham.
From Wingham he enlisted in the 161st Huron County Battalion and went overseas in 1916. He went to France to the 18th Battalion as a sergeant and was awarded the Military Medal and Bar, each for conspicuous bravery in saving life on the battlefield. After an officer’s training course in England he returned to the 18th in France, was severely wounded at Amiens, August 8, 1918, and was in hospital in France, England, and Canada until February 1921. Upon discharge from hospital he, with his family, went to Saskatchewan, where with his brother Roy, he farmed for a time, then returned to Cartwright, where for some years he owned and operated a general store in Nestleton. In 1936 he move to Ottawa, where he held a position in the Civil Service, Department of Defence, until his retirement to Orono in 1950.
He is survived by his wife and three daughters: Mrs. M.P. Philip (Marion) of West Hill, Mrs. R.J. Fennell (Genevieve) of Waterville, Quebec, and Mrs. A.Abbott (Pauline) of Ottawa, also three grandsons Fl/Cadae Peter Philip of Centralia, David and John Philip of West Hill.
The funeral service in the United Church, Orono, was conducted by Rev. John Kitchen, assisted by the Rev. R.H. Walker of Stirling, Ont. Internment was in Cartwright Union Cemetery at Cadmus.
We cannot think of them as dead,
Who walk with us no more,
Along the path of life we tread,
They have but gone before.
Source: The Canadian Statesman. Bowmanville, Ontario. October, 27, 1955. Page 8.