Source: War Diary
Attended Royal Military College
CAPTAIN STUART LOWHALL GUNN: Captain Gunn was born in 1891, and received his early education in London, Ontario. He entered R.M.C. in 1909 and graduated in 1912. During the First World War he joined the 18th Bn. C.E.F. in 1914 and served in France and Belgium 1915-1916. Later he was on the Staff as Staff Captain, and afterwards as Brigade Major of the 8th Mounted Brigade. In civilian life he was with the McClary Manufacturing Company until his retirement. Captain Gunn died in London, Ontario, on 3rd February, 1953.
Possible Reference to Stewart Lowhall Gunn:
Fredrick Walker, owner of the Oakwood Lodge, lived in Oakwood Park year round. He was referred to as one of the “four horsemen of St. John’s by-the-Lake,” along with Colin C. Scatcherd, William C. Dance and Stuart L. Gunn. These four men petitioned the Bishop of Huron to form a congregation of the Church of England in Grand Bend in 1949. These same four men were instrumental in successfully canvassing the community for funds to build the church. Each of the men was dedicated to the church until no longer able.
London Advertiser. December 15, 1915. Page 2.